December 23, 2020
We’re Hiring! Full-Stack Developer
Constructive, a leading brand experience design & digital design agency that works exclusively with social impact organizations, is looking for an outstanding software enthusiast who will help us craft performant and meaningful web experiences to help better the world we live in.
If you are a WordPress developer who excels at translating sophisticated UX and design into exceptional interaction design, are hungry to collaborate in close-knit teams of senior strategic and creative experts to push boundaries, and believe that the best digital experiences happen when strategy, technology, and design work together, then we’d love to hear from you.
And if you care deeply about the mark on the world you leave and share our deep commitment to using strategic, creative, and technical expertise to make a positive impact on issues like climate change, education, and social justice, then we think you’d love working with us and our clients.
A bit about us
Constructive is a boutique brand experience design firm that specializes in digital. For 20 years, we’ve partnered with leading organizations at the forefront of social change to develop brand strategy and designed experiences that help make progress towards overcoming the world’s most important challenges. We’re looking for a creative, flexible thinker who has a proven track record of success leading web development on projects that demand a high degree of creative and technical complexity. Take a look at what will be expected from, and what you’ll get in return.
A bit about the role
As a WordPress developer at Constructive, you will take the lead on developing a myriad of technical solutions to help create compelling brand experiences for our network of passionate clients. Working alongside our energetic technology team, you will create content management systems, data visualizations, single-page applications, automation scripts and everything in between. Additionally, you will commonly integrate with third-party systems to extend our reach of feature offerings, as well as work on a collection of innovative internal projects.
No matter the task, the end goal is the same: create powerful software to empower our clients to have a larger impact on the world we share. Therefore, you should really know your stuff and not have a big ego, you take responsibility for the quality of your work and the overall success of the company, and want to work in tandem with others who care as much as you do.
What we need you to do extremely well
This role is all about hands-on development and sharing your perspective on approaches and techniques learned throughout your career. We’ll need you to have strong demonstrated success having done all or most of these things for at least 3 — and a passion for doing them well.
- Have professional experience executing full-stack WordPress Web Development from start to finish: you should be comfortable with the inner workings of the system and its hooks, creating custom plugins and themes, exposing APIs via WP-JSON, and understand the impact these areas have on performance tuning.
- Have a thorough knowledge of software development best practices and methodologies
- Be a great team player, have a bias towards listening, take serious pride in your work, and always look for our process and results to be better the next time out.
- Expertise that’s important in for the role
- Right now, these are the specific technologies and tasks that are essential to our work. We’ll need you to have about 3 years of experience in most of these things, and we’re very open to new ideas on which specific technologies and tools can improve on what we have.
- At least 3 years of custom WordPress development experience, with a concentration on back-end development
- Deep understanding of custom theme development and plugin development
- Excellent understanding and development with frontend JS and CSS frameworks, and adaptive, responsive, and cross-browser web development
- Excellent grasp of development workflows, git, deployment
- Excellent communication skills
- Process-Minded & Detail-Oriented: you sweat the small stuff
- Strong experience with content migrations from existing websites
- Strong experience integrating with third-party technologies (Salesforce, Mailchimp, etc)
It’d be great if you have…
- Experience building design systems: component libraries, reusable front end patterns, etc.
- Experience with Data Visualization (D3, Highcharts)
- Experience with Infrastructure, System Administration & DevOps. Likewise, familiarity with hosting solutions such as Pantheon, WP Engine, Heroku, or AWS
- Experience using Sage, Extended ACF & CPT, and popular composer libraries
- Experience with accessibility, such as WCAG compliance requirements
- A good sense of humor 🙂
What’s in it for you?
We do our best to make sure everyone at Constructive is taken care of with a great mix of salary, benefits and perks, opportunities for professional growth, and a healthy dose of time off. Our clients are essentially all nonprofits—so if you’re in it solely for the money, there are places that will probably offer you a bit more of that. We expect this position to have a base salary of between $65-$85K depending on experience levels. Here’s what we have on tap for 2020-2021 to add to this:
Benefits & Perks
- Company-Sponsored Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- 401K plan with 4% company match
- Quarterly profit sharing bonus
- Discretionary performance-based bonuses
- 2 weeks paid vacation (+1 additional day per year)
- Paid vacation between Christmas & New Year’s
- 1/2-day Summer Fridays (Approx 16)
- 1 week paid personal/sick days
- $1500 annual professional development stipend
- New client bonus (2.5% of largest contract in year 1 for any non-inbound client)
- The feeling of satisfaction knowing that your work is helping make the world a better place
A bit about diversity and inclusivity
We believe strongly that diversity is one of our greatest strengths—that the more perspectives we bring to the mix, the better we are as people and the better partner we are for our clients. So, in considering if Constructive is a good fit for you, know that all we care about is that you’re qualified to do the job, share most or all of our values, and want to be here. These are the things we’ll be evaluating for every applicant—and if you meet those and add to our diversity, all the better.
Then please send an email titled “WordPress Developer” to email@example.com with the following:
- A resume
- A cover letter telling us a bit about you and what excites you about joining our team
- Links to your own website, websites you’ve worked on, github, whatever
- Desired salary