November 18, 2021
We’re Hiring! Web Developer Apprentice (Remote)
Constructive, a leading social impact design firm based primarily in New York and operating with a remote workforce, is accepting applications for our 2022 Apprenticeship Program. We are looking for one exceptional person to join our diverse team of strategic, mission-focused, and creative thinkers as a web developer apprentice.
Constructive’s Apprenticeship Program is a 6-month program ideal for young professionals new to the world of all things digital, who are seeking hands-on experience in their craft while working with talented industry professionals on challenging, impactful projects. The ideal candidate will have a passion for branding, design and technology, with a knack for creative and strategic problem solving and a hunger for knowledge and growth. Making a meaningful difference in the world is a core value shared amongst all team members here at Constructive, so our apprentices must embody that same value system to ensure a seamless integration with our team.
This web developer apprenticeship is for individuals focused on honing their skills in all things software development, primarily through the lens of website and web application development. We will provide you with the tools, processes, and knowledge needed to continue nurturing and progressing your technical skills, while you will help us execute on the day to day operations of the development team and the agency at large.
Who we’re looking for:
- Someone who has either recently received their bachelors degree in computer science or a related field, or has recently completed a coding bootcamp, ready to enter the professional world and acquire some real-world experience.
- A candidate with baseline knowledge of software engineering and/or computer science. This should entail a basic understanding of programming principles and some programming languages and techniques.
- Someone interested in building websites, learning full stack web development, and exploring the world of agency work and client services.
- Someone who is ambitious, versatile, organized, detail-oriented, team-focused, and always learning, and who pushes their own thinking.
- Real-world experience having built websites or done any technical or digital work will put you at an advantage with regards to this apprenticeship.
What you’ll learn:
- Software development principles and best practices, including object-oriented programming and SOLID principles to name a few.
- Tools and workflows essential to the modern developer, including Git, command-line tooling, and other softwares and applications we swear by.
- The “day in the life” of a full-stack web developer, ranging from frontend coding, to backend architecting, to QA testing and debugging, to dev ops and server management. You will experience the full range of programming languages, tools, and systems contained within the above areas of work.
- A deeper understanding of the world of building client-friendly websites, with a focus on WordPress and full-stack PHP development.
- Workflows, tools, and systems to keep you organized and productive, including time and project management systems for example.
- How to collaborate and communicate as part of a high-functioning, interdisciplinary team. You will attend project and internal meetings, and play an integral role in moving projects along and delivering high-quality products and services for Constructive’s diverse clientele.
What you’ll be doing:
- Helping with programming tasks on a regular basis. This could range from creating new components or pages in HTML, CSS, and JS, to helping write a custom plugin or building out a custom API/third-party integration into a website.
- Helping with development on both new and existing website builds. This may require adding or modifying visual or functional aspects of a site, fixing bugs, or performing cross-browser testing.
- Supporting quality assurance for projects as needed, including testing for and resolving visual and functional bugs, addressing specific browser bugs and quirks, and ensuring pixel-perfect designs prior to release.
- Supporting internal projects, including our own marketing website, process improvements, and automation scripts.
- Aiding in content entry if and as needed, including building out pages within a CMS and transcribing content from one system to another.
- Supporting the development, design, and project management teams as needed in other capacities, based on what is needed at the time.
- Having regular 1-1 meetings with our Director of Technology, development team, and the CEO. These will be opportunities for oversight, training, planning, and retrospection/feedback.
- Participating in all project meetings, including during the project lifecycle and after (i.e. retrospectives). You will be an integral part of moving projects along and delivering high-quality final products, all while working to improve our collaborative processes along the way.
- Practicing your written and verbal communication skills in a variety of ways, including documenting systems and work done, communicating with team members, and detailing processes and workflows as needed.
How it works:
- This is a paid apprenticeship. The selected candidate(s) will be asked for a 6-month commitment of 30-40 hours per week at a rate of $15/hour.
- Based on performance and our company’s needs, there is potential for a 6-month extension of the apprenticeship at an increased rate of $22.50/hour, and/or advancement to a full-time position once the apprenticeship concludes.
- You’ll work the standard work week with us, Monday-Friday as a full member of our remote team. Please note preference is given to those in the United States, primarily due to time zone considerations.
- National holidays are observed.
- You’ll be eligible for a performance-based bonus at the end of the 6-month period.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusivity:
We believe strongly that diversity is one of our greatest strengths—that the more perspectives we bring to the mix, the better we are as people, and the better partner we are for our clients and their missions. To foster more diversity amongst our teams and community, we are are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, veteran, family and economic status and background, geographical background and status, and perspective.
Constructive is an equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to creating and maintaining a diverse, anti-racist organization that is equitable, inclusive, and supportive for all. Women and BIPOC candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested? Great! Then please send an email titled “Constructive Web Dev Apprentice” to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Your résumé or CV
- A cover letter telling us a bit about yourself and why you’re interested in working with Constructive (applications without proper cover letters will not be considered)
- Answers to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in a development apprenticeship, and what do you hope to gain from working with and learning from our team?
- What values drive you and your work?
- What do you like to do when you are not working?