November 16, 2021
We’re Hiring! Senior Interactive Designer for Social Impact Design Agency (NY/Remote)
Constructive, a leading social impact digital agency based in NY with a remote US staff, is looking for a Senior Interactive Designer (must be in North America and authorized to work in US) with outstanding visual design skills to create digital experiences with us that help make the world a better place.
We’re a collaborative company that lives our values, which include having high standards and working as a team at all times. We’re looking for a Senior Interactive Designer with a creative, problem-solving mind, who loves working in tandem with others and takes pride in and ownership of their work. If this sounds like you—someone who wants to design great digital experiences that make a positive contribution to issues like climate change and social justice, and you’re hungry to be part of a close-knit, high-performing team, then please read on!
About The Senior Interactive Designer Role
As a Senior Interactive Designer at Constructive, you will take the lead on creating complex websites for nonprofit and educational organizations. Working alongside other designers—as well as our UX and Strategy team—you’ll design websites, data visualizations, single-page applications, identity systems, and everything in between. You’ll also work extensively on branding projects for a range of new and existing nonprofits.
Senior Interactive Designer Responsibilities
We’ll need you to have strong, demonstrated success having done all or most of these things:
- Produce design work that sets the standard for excellence among our peers and clients, always pushing the boundaries of what’s possible.
- Perform design research and collaborate with strategists to define design and digital strategies.
- Create concept/brand boards that help others understand your vision and that facilitate design discussions before design begins.
- Lead design workshops and discussions, articulate your thinking so that others can understand, appreciate, and respond to your ideas.
- Translate brand and strategic priorities into an extendable visual brand language.
- Combine emotional and rational thinking to create resonant brand experiences that are both beautiful and useful.
- Know your typography, color theory, grids, and other design fundamentals—and be detail-oriented about the fine points of all of them.
- Excel at designing large, complex, and content-heavy responsive digital experiences. (Check out our work to see what we mean).
- Work cross-functionally with strategists, content developers, developers, and project managers to achieve shared goals with our clients.
- Understand how websites are built, creating flexible, scalable design systems that developers love to work with.
- Be organized and process-minded so that it’s easy for others on our team to collaborate with you.
- Lead presentations to sell your vision and thinking, both internally and with clients—taking feedback in stride to achieve specific results.
- Be extremely collaborative and eager to get feedback you can run with.
- Oversee execution of your work and ensure exceptional quality, whether it’s junior designers extending it or developers building it.
Skills We Really Value
- 5+ years experience working in a design firm as an interactive designer
- Amazing work, we don’t care where you went to school, we just need your work to astonish
- Complete fluency with Sketch and Creative Suite
- Knowledge of animation frameworks and the ability to convey those requirements for developers
- Annotation and communication with web developers
- A positive attitude and, ideally, a sense of humor
- Experience with UX/Information Architecture
- Logo and identity design experience
- Understanding of WordPress
What We Offer
We do our best to make sure everyone at Constructive is taken care of with a great mix of salary, benefits and perks, opportunities for professional growth, and a healthy dose of time off. We expect this position to have a base salary between $75K-$85K based on experience and value-added skills. In addition, we offer the following robust benefits and perks.
- Company-Sponsored Health, Dental & Vision Insurance ($500-$1,000 stipend based on marital/child status)
- 401K plan with up to 4% company match
- Annual profit-sharing plan
- Ongoing employee-driven micro-bonuses (via Bonusly)
- Discretionary performance-based bonuses
- 3 weeks paid vacation (2 weeks discretionary plus company closed Christmas Eve – New Year’s)
- +1 additional vacation day on start date anniversary, up to 5 additional
- 1/2-day Summer Fridays (Approx 16)
- 5 paid personal/sick days
- Flexible work schedules
- $1,500 annual professional development stipend
- New client bonus (3% of all work signed in first 12 months from any new client introduction you directly make)
- The feeling of satisfaction knowing that your work is helping make the world a better place
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We believe strongly that diversity is one of our greatest strengths—that the more perspectives we bring to the mix, the better we are as people and the better partner we are for our clients. So, in considering if Constructive is a good fit for you, know that all we care about is that you’re qualified to do the job, share most or all of our values, and want to be here. These are the things we’ll be evaluating for every applicant—and if you meet those and add to our diversity, all the better.
Then please send an email titled “Senior Interactive Designer” to email@example.com with the following:
- A resume
- A cover letter telling us a bit about why you’re excited to join Constructive plus answers to the following questions
- What values drive you in your work?
- What are the three most important things to being a great interactive designer?
- What do you like to do when you’re not working?
- What’s your desired salary?
- Link to your portfolio